Mushrooms are known to add flavour to food, and they also have several health benefits to the body. The use of mushroom dates many years back, and they have been widely used in countries like India, China, Turkey and other parts of the world. They have traditionally been used for their great taste and for possessing some excellent properties for curing diseases.
Although most people who use these fungi as medicine may not produce scientific evidence, their effectiveness in dealing with various body ailments can also not be ignored.
The continuous use of mushrooms for medicinal purposes has prompted scientists, and researchers to embark on studying the properties of these fungi to determine their therapeutic value and their health benefits to humans. Mushrooms are low in calories, have a very high nutritional value, and can be used as food to help reduce weight. It has been found that mushrooms have health-boosting vitamins, and they also contain several minerals needed by the body.
Studies have also confirmed that mushrooms contain antioxidant properties making them very important in any diet. The kinds of mushrooms grown in tropical climates are very rich in vitamin D, which helps the body grow strong bones and improves the immune system. Here are the health benefits of two common mushrooms.
Turkey Tail Mushroom
This mushroom species is known for its medicinal value and its wide range of health benefits in the body. It is packed with a wide variety of health-boosting properties and can help your body to fight ailments in the following ways:
- It may improve the immune system to help you fight certain cancers because of its anti-tumor properties. One of the tests performed on turkey tail mushroom proved that it has the properties that inhibit the growth and the spread of human colon cancer cells.
- Turkey trail mushroom is also said to be capable of enhancing the efficacy of specific cancer treatments. These days turkey tail mushroom is combined with chemotherapy treatment to fight certain cancers in humans.
- Turkey tail mushroom is also packed with antioxidants making it very useful in reducing the damage caused by oxidative stress. The imbalance of free radicals and oxidants results in what is known as oxidative stress. The use of turkey tail mushroom is very effective in providing the body with antioxidant properties to counter that effect.
- Other properties of this mushroom species including but not limited to the following:
- Improve gut health,
- Reduce inflammation,
- Fight bacteria, and
- improve insulin resistance, among others
Coriolus Versicolor Mushroom
Coriolus Versicolor mushroom is a crusty, thin and hard type of mushroom. It grows mainly on the sides of trees. This kind of mushroom is known for its various health benefits, which include the following:
- Boost immunity
- Boost chemotherapy response
- Improves the health of your digestive system
- Improves the production of white blood cells that are needed to fight the body infections
You can choose to use the mushroom in many different ways, including cooking it, taking it as a powder in your favorite hot drink or taking it as an extract. It is believed that taking the mushroom extract is the most effective way of benefiting from the fungi. It is also essential to ensure you have a high quality extracted supplement because the way the extract is removed affects the quality of the supplement.